Exclusive Government owned Private GSM network for Counter-terror and Disaster management. http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-28
P. Abraham Paul email@example.com 29 Nov 2009
Introduction: Quick means of communication is one of the vital needs at the time of major crisis and disaster and Counter Terror activities.
The irony is that public telecom networks becomes of no help when it is most needed. The normal telecom networks are designed for optimum busy hour telephone use of a routine day. In abnormal situations, the systems will be choked due to over usage. Failure of one system in the network due to overload or otherwise, can cause congestion and failure of other systems in the network also.
Normal public telecom systems are dimensioned taking into account the busy hour call traffic in the area served. It is impossible to design a public telephone network that is capable of handling the sudden spurt of telephone traffic of sporadic nature that happen at the time of any major events, crisis and disaster.
1. Exclusive Govt. owned private systems for Crisis and Disaster management. The way out is to have an exclusive private fail proof Wired as well as Wireless telecom network exclusively for essential services such as Security, Army, Police, Ambulance, Hospitals, Road transport & traffic control, Air traffic control, Railways, Head of Civil administration and other important persons/ organizations etc., that are vital in Crisis control/Disaster management system and agencies.
These systems shall have 24/7 GPS connectivity with transponders of Geo synchronous Satellites exclusively for this purpose. Private and exclusively government owned high security GSM network and Satellite connectivity are being used in some countries for these purposes could be adopted in India also. By design, these are fail proof and tamper proof non-blocking, full availability systems for congestion free service at the switching center level as well as at the access network levels.
2. During normal situation such systems could be used for the day to day needs of city administration, security and other needs. Interconnects to Public networks would be available on normal situation, but it would be capable to filter or block these to avoid flooding of calls from other networks during emergency situations.
With these systems and network in place, it would be possible to keep up fail proof communication between the vital points to receive information and pass on orders immediately from central control to various points to take appropriate action in case of cyclone, flood, fire, earthquake, terrorist activities, bomb scare, mob violence or major traffic hold up situations.
3. It shall be possible to access the communications systems of Suburban railways and Road transport systems from this network to contact and pass orders for immediate actions. Bomb scare alarms and regional or national calamity announcement system shall be available in every railway compartment.
Such systems in different cities could be networked for integrated action of security needs and events and crisis of national importance. It is possible to have centralized database and control servers in one of the systems and shared by other networks.
4. In addition to such private Communication Network, other infrastructures for crisis management also shall be in place.
Vital systems and things are:
i) A centralized administrative body to take over and exercise over all control and coordination.
ii) A research and consultant group to constantly improvise the systems in every sphere, technology, strategy, administration etc., according to changing needs.
iii) A contingent of specially trained persons in every city.
iv) Necessary infrastructure such as modern weapons, armor and ammunitions.
v) Protected vehicles, helicopters, airplanes, fire tenders and etc pre-loaded and fully equipped in operational ready condition.
vi) The network can support UID project for providing access to the intelligent chip in UUI cards or devices. Access to UID database will become a vital tool to fight against terrorism, localized as well as imported.
vii) Fail proof and tamper proof GSM linked CCTV units in vital locations and at Street levels for effective and continuous monitoring on 24/7 basis.
5. Economic feasibility: A system that has full coverage of the entire city and suburbs would be expensive. Cost could be brought down by sharing the towers of Public telecom service providers.
5.1. Viability using the systems and network for Value-added-services to offset the cost of implementation of network.
The network could be deployed to provide, many value added services such as pre-paid / post paid charging of vehicle parking, GPS enabled traffic navigation system, many multi-media services etc., using Wireless Telephony technology linked with Intelligent Network Server to generate revenue. As the number of personal vehicle is growing exponentially, it will be justified to charge for the usage of public roads in lieu of the annual road tax. Charging can time dependent and location dependent and at different rate for the duration parking. In a city like Mumbai, the annual revenue from automatic collection of Vehicle Parking Charges alone would be around Rs. 5000 to 8000 thousand crores.
By networking, one such system could take care of vehicle parking charging services for many other cities.
With availability of ADHAR, the network could be used for it and for directly controlling various govt. sponsored welfare schemes. Read my posting on Pay by Phone as as an un-banked & NFC money management facilities and services.
Over and above IT enabled systems can be can be effectively used for Emergency services such as reducing rape and other vandalism that happen across the country.
Also I have dealt this topic in detail in my blog: ‘The Bitter Pills for India Reprieve’ http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-5I
Author: Abraham Paul.