Telecom Industrialists need caution on broadband network ideas that do not fit in their business plan in the immediate future. http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-4s
Please also see my blog ‘ Make Telecom Systems, network, Phones, product and services for the common man’. http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-9i
In the decision of Government to make available more wireless spectrum and to sell it by auction, the following factors would be interesting for the stake holders to consider.
1. As the data rates needed go higher and higher, the coverage area of the wireless cell sites becomes less and less making it necessary to have much more cell sites to provide quality coverage.
2. For the mobile broadband users, with higher data rate the speed at which the user can move become less and less. This factor will affect quality of service for users in fast moving vehicles.
3. As the coverage area becomes less and less there need be close handovers of wireless access as the user moves on from cell to cell. With small cell coverage and closer handovers, delivery of uninterrupted quality service will becomes a big challenge for service provider especially in critical real time data connectivity such as money transfers, that need uninterrupted continuity.
4. Direct line of sight based connectivity of large number small coverage area cell sites cramped in small spaces, each of it using discrete frequency with parent Microwave dish antennae on will be another challenge to overcome. 5. Alternate wireless paths to make the network redundant and fail proof add further complexity.
6. While every sophisticated features being offered with the release of each high profile phones cannot be included in the lower models. Same is true about the high data rate handling capability of phones made for 3G, 4G etc. services. 4G LTE cell sites would cover bigger cell area but such network do not support Voice calls and therefore, need to fall back to 2G networks to service voice calls or move over to VoLTE that would require restructuring of interface equipment and switching path in every other systems and transit points / gateways that is going to take time. In addition to above factors, the new generation technology use different frequency in the spectrum layer in different countries and hence one cannot roam with same phone everywhere which also becomes an important factor that could disrupt the growth of business volume.
The viable alternate is OF Cable for short and long haul broad band connectivities that can overcome the above said problems of a fully implied wireless networking.
Looking closer, what it means is simply that the network topology is slowly approaching convergence of Mobile and Fixed network, both can be served by same network, with OF back bone for long and short haul and distributed connectivity and then small area wireless connectivity such as of Wifi as the end links, which is going to be converged networks of the future. As far the end link is concerned the solution is Direct to home by EPON (Ethernet Passive Network) which is still a far cry in most places in India.
Ultimately it takes away the dependability of wide area 2G & 3G and other high speed broadband spectrum. It is time the Telecom Industrialists take a futuristic view and not fall into traps of the Mobile Phone Vendor who push more are more sophisticated devices before the systems and networks are ready which is like putting the Cart before the Horse. It would be wiser for the Governments to reconsider the issues of auctioning out wireless spectrum at higher and cost that burden the bidders, that will have to passed on to the end users ultimately at cost of shrinkage of business volume. Government’s policies shall be people centric, not Money centric.
Please see my blog “Impact of transition from Voice to Data & Multimedia”. http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-23
Auth0r. Abraham Paul P. Ex V.P. Technical Sales, SPCNL, SIEMENS ICN/ G.M & SMT TBG, BPL Mobile India / TES (I) DOT India.