Why excessive Call drops in GSM Mobile Telecom Service.
Author. P Abraham Paul. 10 May 2016.
Hon. Supreme Court had reversed Government’s order binding Telcos to compensate Customers for Calls drops, a good decision favoring Telcos though not for the Users.
However, it is not sure whether both Government and Telcos have analyzed the reasons and its pros and cons of increasing incidences of Call drops such as the few given below.
- Unmanageably higher telephone traffic load due to fast mushrooming Non-Telecom related value added services such as Mobile banking and other e-commerce services over phone links.
- Delay in getting connected to INTERNET servers due to low data speed and congestion in the network increasing holding time and Traffic load. Tested individually the systems and network will give high speed through put as per design parameters while when loaded it may not be able to perform as expected due to extraneous reasons. To check this there is something known as flood tests, on each segment initially and then for whole system including junction circuits with load and designed overload (130%) by artificial loading methods. This can only reveal functional ability of systems & network.
- Machine made spurt of Commercial advertisements and Missed calls based services overloading systems and network.
- Growing access to Internet service through Mobile phone connectivity. Mobile has become an inseparable “Life Science Device” and part in parcel of most of ‘Internet of Things’ (IOT) http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-zM
- Inadequacy of Mobile system sites and spectrum to cater the end links. 3G/4G need much higher number if cell and sites than 2G.
- Channel stealing in weak signal points by expensive phone with high power chips at Calling or Called end leading to call drops in ordinary phones in the vicinity.
- Failure during handover especially while in high data usage as 3G/4G when moving over to Data and Multi media transaction while on Voice calls. (Until systems are fully migrated to IP switching end to end, 2G Voice and 3G Data are routed and switched on differed switching systems now.)
- Last must not the least is the poor in-house coverage being experienced with 3G service. While on the calls, speech get badly disturbed or distorted to the extent it can cause disruption the UM link and the Circuit switched path either at the calling side or at the called side. Then why search for reasons of Call Drops elsewhere?.
This can improve only with Direct home EPON (Ethernet Passive Optical Network) which is a far cry in most palaces in India. Telcos finding it difficult to pump in more investment inevitable to keep the business running due to slippage of revenue by disruptive technology advancement and the pity is they come up with Cock and Bull stories to escape.
There is something known as ‘Performance Monitoring’ and ‘Quality Control’ right from the Mobile Phones to Net work and Systems. I had introduced this in one of the early GSM systems in 1995. A daily report used to be on my table in the morning. Doubtful anyone is using it now or even TRAI is insisting on it !!.
Please see my blog on ‘Impact of moving over from Voice to Data” http://wp.me/p1ZsI2-23 and other blogs related to Telecom in papaulsblog in WordPress.com
—————- 00000 —————-
P. Abraham Paul. FIE, FIETE.
OWNER FCOMNET Ex. Vice President Technical Sales, SIEMENS ICN, Germany / Director Trg, SC & TS SIEMENS ICN RHQ Dubai / G.M & SMT TBG BPL Mobile India / TES (I) DOT India.