CONTEMPORARY GLOBAL CHALLENGES AND TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS.
Author: Abraham Paul. P. FIE, FIETE. 15 February 2019
Short link: https://wp.me/p1ZsI2-1iF
(Please see full article in the link: wp.me/p1ZsI2-1eJ)
This proposal is about Quickly Developing and Implementing a meaningful ‘Minimum Income Guarantee’ #MIG in the lines of Universal Basic Income #UBI, ensuring hypothetically say, Rs.100/day/person for about 40% of the Population (that include those in current #BPL) and replacing MGNREGA, #FSB and scrapping the problem prone ‘Public Distribution System’ #PDS and stoppage of all other Freebies, Loan Wavers, Economic status based reservations etc. once for all.
Of course, a meaningful implementation of the Minimum Income Guarantee like that will need an estimated Financial Resource of about Rs.18 LCr (Rs.18 Trillion) annually. Huge!! almost near to India’s Annual Budget Outlay. (Rs.100/day and 40% Population taken here are hypothetical figures for explanatory purpose; that can vary according to needs from time to time. To cover 67% of population currently under the Food Security Bill #FSB, the resource required will be about Rs.30 Trillion annually.)
Could be done, and this is perhaps the only way to make the turn around by Government and the Political Parties People Friendly and the Nation a truly democratic welfare State.
Please see my Presentation on ‘Global Challenges and Technology Solutions’ by clicking on the caption >>>>> Global Challenges and Technology Solutions
This can be realized by using fairly simple Technology solutions as explained in a presentation I made years back in IEI Tvm and other forums. ‘Power and Perils of Money Going Virtual’ in the link wp.me/p1ZsI2-M6 and ‘Universally Governments Operate Money As Commodity’ #UGOMAC an idea first of its kind, that many countries are now looking into; in the link wp.me/p1ZsI2-11j that can take care of the following contemporary Global Challenges of which providing Jobs or other sources of income in lieu of for the livelihoods of all the needy ones is the prime challenge everywhere even in the developed nations. Meanwhile, providing the needy a meaningful Minimum Income till then is the most simple and feasible way to tackle the problem of Poverty in which current support from Governments are grossly inadequate. Pushing quicker growth and higher GDP through unbridled FDI and long term indebtedness will take Indian Economy into unmanageable doldrums.
The five Contemporary Global Challenges.
- Poverty. Due to lack of enough Jobs for the needy. Need to provide relief to those in the lower economic strata to possible extent by ensuring mutually supportive ‘Universal Basic Income’ #UBI with a scaled down version as a Minimum Income Guarantee #MIG until suitable Jobs or other occupations for the livelihood for all can be found.
- Corruption /Black Money. The few Rich amass wealth with corrupt practices and hoarding of Black Money are widening the economic gap between Rich and Poor and tackling it is another Global Challenge.
- Heavy Duties and Tax burden. Government need money. Current Central Budget Expenditure outlay divided by India’s Population is less than Rs.40 per person per day, that is less than the current BPLindex. What sort of development it can do is anybody’s guess? However, imposing too many and Direct & Indirect Taxes and Duties by Governments for its Revenue generation cause hardships to Common People. It is like giving by one hand and taking away by other.
Bringing in a TAX Free Regime using the Technology solution explained herein is the way to alleviate Economic burden on common people, and to overcome one of the global Challenges of the day.
- Proliferation of Terrorism. One of the reasons on proliferation of Terrorism is the Monitory support from the original perpetrators of different sorts from near and far. Bringing in place a 24/7 system that can Monitor, identify and prevent unusual excess Money flow into wrong hands for wrong purposes, is the one and only sure shot solution to effectively restrain Proliferation of Terrorism and hence has become a Global Challenges to reckon.
- CYBER SECURITY and PRIVACY. Ensuring Cyber Security is Vital in everything DIGITAL and in every ICN/ICT Digital Dialogues and Discourses by everyone and the Governments and also is vital for tackling other Global Challenges. As disruption of Cyber Security impact PRIVACY that in turn impact everything else and hence becoming an unsolvable headache everywhere.
Tackling disruption of Cyber Security will also help to save ‘Telecom Businesses, which are Primarily a Service Industry, committed to take care of one of the Vital Essential Services accessible to all sorts of People at affordable cost; and now at the verge of collapse; World overdue its infringement by OTTs that use TELCOS Systems, Network and its Customer base with no adequate revenue share.
wp.me/p1ZsI2-12v & wp.me/p1ZsI2-Es As future wars will not be with Guns & Bombs but in the Cyber space, dependency on imported Technology Systems & Open networks are problematic. Any responsible Government should have its own Communication Systems and Network in Exclusive fully fire walled CLOUDS.
It is therefore, crucial for Government to protect and upkeep BSNL by diversifying into a Government operated FinTech business by becoming a Payment Bank and tie up with POST OFFICE Banking system to effectively use its extra baggage of Work force and assets and real estate all over the country. (DOT India had one among the best Telecom Technocrats in the World.)
More importantly Private TELCOS cannot be depended for providing Service available, accessible and affordable to the huge population in the loss making systems and networks in Rural and Remote areas for full realisation of Digital India. Therefore, Government Policies on Telecom shall be People Centric; not Money Centric.
How Technology Solutions can be of help to resolve most of the above. Amazingly Simple Technology solutions can address and overcome all the above challenges.
I have been writing on these and did in my many Technical Talks & Presentations, from late 90’s as can be seen in my paper ‘Exclusively Banked Universal Money Management by Phones on Mobile Banking using Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (#USSD) messaging technology, Need of Exclusive Payment Banks etc.’ wp.me/p1ZsI2-4g
It is knowing fully well about it’s disruptive potential on Nation’s Economy, I did not venture to do it myself and was after Government and Reserve Bank to take it on. Basically, Government Policies on Telecom shall be People Centric; not Money Centric. ______________________________________________________________By Abraham Paul. P. FIE, FIETE. Freelance ICN/ICT Consultant. Ex Owner Futuregroups FCOMNET India & UAE/ Vice President Technical Sales, SIEMENS SPCNL / Director Trg, SC&TS SIEMENS ICN RHQ, Dubai / G M & SMT TBG, BPL MOBILE INDIA/ TES (A) DOT INDIA.